Honolulu Design Center
The Honolulu Design Center (HDC), a 3-story, 80,000 GSF, modern retail building providing spaces that stimulate creativity, and offer highly interactive environments for all the creative arts. This high-end furniture center includes a fine dining restaurant, cafe, wine bar, and space for special events and performances.
As a showcase of contemporary architecture, the design picks up the subtle curves of the surrounding buildings while at the same time incorporating cutting edges that reflect the retail within. Clad in bold materials and colors, the orange pearlescent paint was custom-created for this project and nicknamed “Honolulu Red”. Much of the facade is transparent to show the inside contents of the building. The architectural design has two intersecting forms – a solid (the “initial” orange wave) and a void (the “reflected” curtain wall wave), with terminating wing extensions that greet visitors on Pensacola and Pi`ikoi Streets.
- Hawai`i Kukulu Hale Award of Excellence, National Association of Industrial & Office Properties
- Award of Merit, American Institute of Architects, Honolulu
- Grand Award (New Commercial more than 15,001 SF), Building Industry Association – Hawaii
- Build Hawaii Award of Merit [Building Construction More Than $25 Million], General Contractors Assoc. of Hawaii
- Project of the Year, Masonry Institute of Hawaii